- 500 grams of Allwoods original braising steak
- 2 large white onions
- 1 bottle of dark ale
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- Salt & pepper
- 1 litre of beef stock
- Finely chop onions and garlic
- Pop flour into a plastic bag with a sprinkling of salt and pepper
- Add steak and give it a good shake until evenly coated
- Warm a knob of butter in a warm frying pan and add the meat to brown completely (approx 5 minutes)
- Remove from pan and leave to stand
- Add another knob of butter into the pan and add finely chopped onions and garlic
- Cook slowly until soft and transparent
- Add onions, garlic and steak into a large casserole dish
- Add a couple of glugs of the ale to the frying pan to bring out all the lovely meat juices
- Pour this liquid onto the meat in the casserole dish
- Add the stock and the remaining ale into the dish until the meat is completely covered
- Place in oven at 160°C and leave to cook for three hours
- Serve with creamy mash and a cheeky beer or two
6 April 2014 - Recipes
As those chilly winter evenings haven’t left us just yet, our recipe of the week will warm the cockles of your heart.
This braised steak in ale and onion gravy is a firm Allwoods favourite.
Serves a family of four.